Sunday, 27 March 2016

trifold babushka

I used my old Groovy scoreboard to create a trifold card from a asheet of white A4 card, and marked a point 2" up from the bottom of the left hand corner. I drew a line from this point to the top of the right hand edge of the middle fold.

background came next - distress inks in wild honey, barn door and peeled paint were splodged onto a blending mat, spritzed with water and mopped up with white card.
Once this was dry, I cut it into 3 panels.

I stamped the larger building into the centre of one panel, and the smaller one towards the bottom right of the second pamel, using vintage photo distress ink. i used a waterbrush to add shading to the buildings, and a white pen to add highlights.

The babushka dolls were stamped into the centre of the last panel, stamping the two smaller dolls first. I then masked these with masking tissue before stamping the largest doll behind them.The dolls were coloured with distress inks in wild honey, barn door and vintage photo using a waterbrush.

I trimmed the panel with the dolls to fit the front of the card, glued it down, and then carefully cut along the diagonal line, making sure to cut around the heads of the dolls. The easiest way would be to stamp the dolls at the bottom of the last panel of background , and cut them out and glue them on after trimming the diagonal and glueing the cut-to-size background panel  to the front.

I lined up the buildings behind the dolls before marking where to trim the centre panel and glueing it down. the last panel was trimmed so that the buildings were in the bottom corner right hand corner of the panel.

The colours are more accurate in the scan of the folded card, they look a bit washed-out in the photographs.

Friday, 18 March 2016

babushka 2

 Another play with the Babaushka dolls - I had some dark  blue card blanks left over from a workshop that needed using, and this is the final result.
The colours are more accurate in the rather dark scan of the whole card flat at the bottom of the post, the ones I took outside in the sun this morning are rather light, and my photo-editing skills are not up to the task of correcting the colour.

The images of the buildings were stamped onto the base card and again onto a piece of blue cut to match the centre panel in versamrk ink and embossed with copper EP. They were coloured using ann old set of H2O paints, as I have seen photos of Russian buildings with gold domes.
The centre panel had a copper mat before being glued in place.

The three dolls were stamped onto white card, coloured with marker pens and cut out before glueing individually onto the front of the card. the smallest one is glued flat, and for the other two the glue is added only to the card front - if you glue the dolls, then you can easily end up with the card stuck together!
This card uses a whole sheet of A4 card, and folds down to DL, so easy to post.

Wednesday, 16 March 2016

CB colour challenge 21

A lovely spring-like colour palette for this month's challenge over at Chocolate Baroque, and this is my version.
Yet another brusho background, using just leaf green and turquoise on watercolour paper, with the large patchwork butterfly stamped in black and clear embossed. The butterfly was stamped and embossed a second time onto white card and coloured with marker pens before cutting out and mounting over the first image.
Trimmed down to 7.5" square, edges ruled with green marker pen to give a faux mat, mounted onto an 8" square white card blalnk.

Monday, 7 March 2016

babushka dolls

 it was great fun playing with the new Babushka doll stamps from Chocolate Baroque, although I did wish that they had been larger stamps!
I found a pack of readymade card blanks from years ago that were just the right size, ending up at 15.3 cm square when folded down.
I dabbed distress inks in tumbled glass and peeled paint onto a craft mat, spritzed wuith water and mopped the colour up with a sheet of white card.
I cut three pieces out of this once dry to make the panels. The side panels I stamped onto directly, using black Memento ink , but the dolls were stamped onto spare white card

All the images were coloured with watercolour pencils, then the dolls were cut out and mounted onto the diamond shaped piece for the centre of the card.
I added orange mats to pick up the colours of the dolls.
The colours in the scanned image are more accurate than those in the photos, an overcast day was the brightest I could manage when I took the photos -needless to say, the sun has now come out!