Monday, 17 April 2017

babushka




Thought I would try something a little different with the babushka dolls, and make a pop-up box card. Normally I would cut out the box, but as I had some ready-made blanks I used those for speed - they were rather shorter than I would have preferred, but worked quite well in the end, as I think that the size I usually make would have been too tall.
Apologies for the picture-heavy post, I felt that I ought to show how they went together if I could.
I used the babushka dolls plate and the silhouette palaces stamps with a mixture of markers, pencils, brushos and distress inks.
The folded flat box fits into an 8"x8" square envelope, and the top panels are 85x80mm, side panels 85x105mm , and the back 85x185mm - sorry for the mix of measurements, but inches didn't work accurately for the panels.


 I stamped the buildings from babushka onto
80x75mm panels for the fold-down flaps, and also at the top of a 80x180 panel for the inside back of the card,using black versafine ink. They were coloured with watercolour pencils.
The pic shows how they were glued onto the base card.


 The side panels were 80x100mm, and here I stamped the smaller stamp from silhouette palaces using black archival ink, then sprinkled lemon, rose red and turquoise brusho powder before spritzing it for the sky.





The same stamp was used at the bottom of a 80x180mm panel for the back, this time using smoky grey distress ink and sponging round the edges with the grey as well.

I stamped 2 large and 1 medium dolls onto white card using versafine again and coloured them with marker pens so that they stood out a bit from the background.
The blank came with 2 bars for the inner box, so the smaller doll was glued to the front of the back bar and the others to the front and back of the front bar at different heights.






two more photos of the completed box from different angles

Saturday, 15 April 2017

Happy Easter

 This was my card for the current Chocolate Baroque colour challenge, using two of the latest stamps from Chocolate Baroque, the lovely large crackle background stamp and the Russian exquisite egg stamp.
Have to admit that I struggled with this colour combination, and this was the only effort that didn't make the bin...........I stamped the egg onto white card using a browny adirondack ink pad, (I think it was labelled raisin under the ink smudge...) and clear embossed it. I coloured it using an alcohol marker, which came out rather paler than I had hoped, cut it out and stuck it onto the background kraft card that was randomly stamped using the crackle stamp and the same ink pad, with more sponged round the edges.
The second card was one that I made for the tv show, using a piece of scrap card as a background. One of Lesley's fab ideas - smudge leftover Aztec metallic paints onto a piece of black card using a baby wipe  and you get a lovely marble efffect eventually.
The egg was stamped using a white pigment ink and embossed with white as well to make sure it showed up on the marble background. Silver matt and a black 5"x7" base card to finish it off.

Wishing you all a very happy Easter

Wednesday, 5 April 2017

katya

The first of my samples for the recent Chocolate Baroque tv show - loved playing with these Russian themed stamps!
Katya is a big stamp, and this card is 8"x8" to give you some idea of size.
She was stmaped in black versafine and clear embossed before masking with masking fluid.
The background was stamped using the larger of the stamps from silhouette palaces, which was stamped using an ancient adirondack multicolour dye inkpad - so old that the original colours had all merged into a sort of purply grey, which was perfect for creating a misty background. Grey brusho powder for the background, and the palaces bled slightly into it when sprayed, which only added to the mistiness. Sometimes you are just lucky!
Once everything was dry, I rubbed off the masking fluid and coloured Katya with alcohol markers before adding a gold mirri card matt and mounting onto the white card blank.