Tuesday, 28 June 2016

baroque ornaments and PVA

I remembered seeing a card on FB by Doreen Sympson last year that used a technique with PVA on stamps - I did try it, but wasn't too happy with the result at the time.
I decided to try again, but this time I used very cheap PVA instead of the decent stuff, and was much happier with the results. The first efforts with decent glue were too thick, the cheap stuff gave a much thinner result - drawback is that the glue itself is much runnier.
Basically, lay the stamp face upwards, and cover with PVA glue - you need enough to cover the image, but not enough to give a thick coat. It's a fine line between enough to hold together when you peel it off but not enough to spill over the edges of the stamp (if it does spill over, it is ok, just awkward getting it off everything, as you can almost guarantee that it will spread under the stamp)

I sprinkled brusho powders over the glue as well, and left them to spread.

Once the glue is dry - it will take several hours, I left mine overnight - carefully peel off from the stamp and trim if necessary. Two of my pieces were trimmed down considerably because the edges weren't thick enough to hold together when I peeled the set glue off the stamp -still, they made nice flowers!
 I added some silver rub-on wax to highlight the design, stamped the leaves and sentiment from the bold blooms set and added my PVA pieces. the smaller flowers use the palm fan baroque ornament, the larger is the teardrop baroque ornament.

A spare piece using the teardrop ornament went onto the cover of a small notebook, with a piece of leftover brusho card as background

Wednesday, 22 June 2016

CB colour challenge samples

 The current challenge colours are really vibrant, a definite change from the damp grey weather at the moment!

My first card uses my favourite Brusho powders and the lovely palm fan baroque ornament stamp.The stamp was stamped towards the corner of a sheet of watercolour paper, using black versafine and clear embossing powder.
I used brushos in purple, ost red and yellow randomly over the whole piece of card, but making sure that there was yellow and red on the image.
I used the purple and red as a paint to highlight the edges of the stamp and the centre to give a bit more definition to the image.
I cut round part of the image, then trimmed the rest of the card to fit onto a 15cm square white card blank - a bit fiddly, but just one layer to glue down

The second card used the same colours after first embossing the lovely big image from let your heart sing - an old stamp set, but still one of my favourites, and just perfect for these colours.
I trimmed the image right down and added a narrow mat of glossy black card.
Two pieces of left over card made the side panels with similar black mats.
Base card is 20cm square white card blank - made quite a change from my usual dl card using this stamp.

Thursday, 16 June 2016

palm fan 2

 I felt that I ought to use up some of the brusho backgrounds that were left over from my previous post, so I cut them into strips first.
Having chosen 3 strips that went together, I trimmed them down, added streamer edges to the bottom, and glued them onto a 14cm sqaure white card. This was matted onto a matching turquoise card and then offset onto a 20cm square white card blank.
A separate piece of card in darker tones was used to stamp and emboss the palm fan baroque ornament, which was cut out and added with foam pads
The second card was a bit of a wild idea at 3am one morning , not too sure whether it counts as a dream or a nightmare though!
I had some stamped images on brusho backgrounds that didn't really work, so this was a chance to use them.
A plain brusho background using leaf green and turquoise cut down to 14cm and matted onto black card. Words are from words of inspiration, stamped with black versafine.
I cut out the centre fans from the palm fan baraoque ornament, and the outer flowery edges from the teardrop baroque ornament and glued them down to vaguely represent flowers.
Base white card blank is 15cm square.

Saturday, 4 June 2016

palm fan and brushos

 There are some lovely new versions of mandala stamps out from Chocolate Baroque, and I have been playing with the palm fan stamp this week.
As you would expect, brushos came out again!

The first card I stamped several times onto a sheet of white card with versamark and white embossed - my versamark pads are all varying shades of grey, which is why the white powder!
I also stamped onto a spare bit of card and used black embossing powder this time.
Both pieces of card were sprinkled with tuerquoise and lime brusho powders and spritzed with water, rathe more heavily for the background piece.
Once dry. the background was cut down to fit onto a 6"square white card blank, with a dark turquoise mat. The separate image was cut out and mounted with sticky pads to give a bit of dimension.

For the second card I used much the same technique, but only one piece of card, stamping the image first in black versafine and clear embossing, then stamping around it and white embossing these. Brtusho powders this time were lemon, orange and ost red, with more of the red and orange over the black image.
I added black marker pen to the outer edges of the image to make it stand out a bit more, then cut it down to fit the same size blank, this time with a black mat.