Inspired by some outline stamps seen recently, I thought I would have a go at using the butterfly in a similar fashion. The stamp was too mucky for me to just ink up the edges and wipe any overspill off with a wipe , so I tried masking the centre of the wings before inking the edges of the stamp and the centre body - after many attempts I got a pair of masks that worked fairly well and gave me a reasonable outline once I removed the masks and stamped the butterfly.
A second mask for the negative image was much easier! Once this was in place, I inked a background into the butterfly frame using distress oxide inks, then stamped the silhouette grasses stamp using black versafine ink, and added some small butterflies from butterfly blush. A quick sponge round the outline and a black matt finished the first off.
The orher two cards used the same technique and stamps but with an extra mask so that I could stamp a background scene as well, using the bridge image from kingfisher song. The base card for the second card was inked randomly with the butterfly stencil.
I really enjoyed doing these once I got the masks sorted out, but don't think I will be repeating it any time soon....at least not unless I get a clean stamp.........