Monday, 20 May 2013

last of the gelli..............

This is the smaller card using the oriental style background, and the same dragon stamp - just a different set of gilding flakes and an oval shape, on a black 6"square card.
I have quite a collection of backgrounds, that I am sure I will eventually get around to using - dread to think how big the pile would be if I actually bought a gelli plate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

And yes, I have found the bed, just have to clear it now................

sorry the photos are a bit blurred and washed-out looking

Saturday, 18 May 2013

Gelli 2

This is the second card using one of the backgrounds made last week with the Gelli plate, using red, black and gold paint, matted onto black card. I couldn't decide what size card to use, so this is the 8" square version with a gilded dragon - the 6" square version will follow in due course..............
The dragon is an old Creative Expressions stamp bought many years ago after a workshop in Norwich with Jayne Nesterenko - as is often the case, it got used to death for a while then put in a drawer and forgotten until it was unearthed while searching for a different oriental stamp (that one is still hiding in the chaos). He was stamped on black card with versamark, covered with stamp'n'bond powder, heated, then gilded before matting onto gold mirri card and red card - the layers are on straight, though they don't look it on the scan.
Version 2 may be a while, as I have to at least excavate the bed from under the craft stuff - daughter does like to have a bed she can find when she visits!

Wednesday, 15 May 2013

Gelli 1

Had an interesting afternoon at Moira's on Sunday trying out her new Gelli plate - made some lovely backgrounds, and some very yuk ones too.
This card is the only completed  result so far - background used blue, green and white paint, spread out with a brayer which was then bounced across the plate to give some texture. The sea bubble stamp by Ryn was stamped after the card was dry using a blue Adirondack ink- sorry, can't remember which one, I did wish it had been a bit darker though! Boat stamp from Stampin up, stamped in black versafine onto pool party card, cut out with Sizzix framelits die. Sail and clouds highlighted with bleach, sea with watercolour pencils and white gel pen. Mat cut from blue card using die to draw round (I seem to have mislaid the next size up die).
Once I find my ancient clear oriental stamps I will finish the card using the red/black/gold paint print - there are also inked stamens waiting to become butterfly antenna when dry.........(life is too short to cut round antennas)
It was a very interesting afternoon, but I don't think I will buy a Gelli plate just yet - they're great fun to use, but I could see me having a huge pile of backgrounds and nothing else............................but that sea bubble stamp is a totally different matter, as is the raindrops one I borrowed.............

Wednesday, 8 May 2013


Way  back in January I signed up to the ATC challenge on Chocolate Baroque - am ashamed to admit that this is the first month that I have actually got around to doing any! And even than I owe this lot to a WI promotions evening that was somewhat of a non-event - possibly due to the sudden outbreak of sunshine...................I had agreed to demo something stampy for the Arts & Crafts committee, and thought of ATCs as small, quick, and inexpensive (alright, downright cheap )  to give away to anyone interested. The theme this month was 'night sky', which simplified what to take enormously - believe it or not, I got everything into one small  box and one bag , which by my standards is definitely travelling light!
Inks used were tumbled glass, faded jeans, chipped sapphire  and black soot distress inks, midnight muse by Stampin up, and black versafine. Stamps from the new landscape and floral edges sets from Chocolate Baroque, plus a small CB tree stamp (can't remember which set it belongs to)
 and a very old Clarity stamp of grasses (so old that it is definitely yellow now). Those and a craft mat, card, sponges, baby wipes and a punched circle mask were all I took along with a few sample cards to display with some stuffed mice  (that's the next workshop the committee is organising - means sewing, so definitely not involving me).
 A few did get given away, haven't decided which two to send in to Mel for the swap - who knows, I may even do some more

Friday, 3 May 2013

May quintiles

 Believe it or not, I have actually finished my May quintiles at the beginning of the month - can't quite believe it myself!
The theme this month was 'Chelsea flower show' - I decided to base mine on the gardens that are created for this.
The poppies are from different Choc Baroque stamps, all stamped in black versafine on white card, coloured with promarkers and cut out. All the background stamps are from the new edges series -  the wall from the landscape edges set (it is meant to be used horizontally, but I thought it worked fine vertically as a pillar) stamped in grey up the left edge and along the top. The leaves are from the floral edges set, coloured with green marker pens, and the meadow grasses from the same set, repeat
stamped with marker pens. There is a pale blue sky brushed on in tumbled glass distress ink, which doesn't show up very well on the scan.
The same leaves and grasses were used on the second tile, with a rather darker sky this time, and black soot sponged round the edges. the roses were made using the small flower from the Tim Holtz tattered floral die.